Monday, March 20, 2006

"a soul, three fingers and at least one good eye"

I once went to an open mike heard a poem which was inspired by Gil Scott-Heron's famous piece "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised". It had a line that went "The revolution will make the government start to suspect and profile anyone with a soul, three fingers, and at least one good eye". It seems like those days are just around the corner. Just between you and me, I could almost understand some of the paranoid anti-Muslim measures which the neo-cons and the powers that be are in favor of these days. I certainly don't agree with them and I think they are horribly mistaken, but I can at least wrap my head around theirs. I "get" where they are coming from. I expect it.

But now, even more mainstream folks who speak out of turn are turning up on the radar:

the American Civil Liberties Union released a series of once secret FBI files that show the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force conducted a secret investigation into the activities of the Thomas Merton Center beginning as early as November 2002, and continuing up until at least last March.

No comments: