Monday, February 13, 2006

deep cover

From the 1992 film Deep Cover (John Hull is played by Laurence Fishburne, Gerry is played by Charles Martin Smith)

John Hull: Gerry, what's the difference between a black man and a nigger?

Gerald Carver: What?

John Hull punches Gerald Carver in the stomach.

John Hull: The nigger's the one that would even think about telling you.


I was able to find a transcript for the movie Deep Cover online, but unfortunately the webpage I found only contains the lines and not the characters' actual names. So it is really good if you've seen the movie and are trying to find the exact version of some particularly badass line. But it is less useful if you want to save on video rental fees. Deep Cover is a very "hip" intelligent film which explores issues of double-consciousness, race and situational morality in a very intense way. I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

Edward Ott said...

That is funny.

salam

Abdul-Halim V. said...

I thought so. And I recently watched the movie again. (It's one of the very few I own) Good flick.

The other really powerful (but from another perspective kind of "obvious") moment I like is...


John Hull: How much is this?

Betty McCutcheon: Do you know anything about ethnic art? Have you ever been in a store like this? See, we don't put price tags on our merchandise. So if you have to ask, then obviously you can't afford it.

John Hull: In that case I'll take two of them.