Thursday, December 29, 2005

why i like it, why i don't

In spite of me really getting into Kwanzaa-blogging this year, I actually have a number of reservations about Karenga and cultural nationalism in general. I definitely believe that the principles of the Nguzo Saba are worth further reflection and discussion, but I don't necessarily feel that cultural practices can really be imposed from above. Culture isn't some burden you have to carry in order to establish your authenticity. Instead, culture is a spontaneous and creative response to ones situation. Black culture is what Black culture does.

For a few days I've been thinking about how to best articulate some of my other reservations about Karenga and was toying with the idea of including a link to an older piece by Ann Coulter on Kwanzaa (and I was going to give the piece the title "even a stopped clock..."). Fortunately, I don't have to sink to such depths. I recently found another blogger who also has a rather balanced view of the holiday. She does a good job of describing Karenga's differences (to put it mildly) with the Panthers along with other issues.

Pica12: Kwanzaa – Why I Like It And Why I Don’t

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Speaking as someone who agrees with much of what you say, I am really saddened to read your posts on the Kwanzaa holiday. The sources you cite are inadequate for measuring the value of such a culturally significant undertaking as Kwanzaa. Please read the Senate Intelligence Committee report on how far the government went to bring about the bloodshed that you feel discredits the holiday. Please also read the book Cointelpro Papers by South End Press.

We don't disagree that what happened was the worse thing that could have happened. But our failures should be where our questions start, not where the conversation ends. In peace.

http://www.icdc.com/~paulwolf/cointelpro/churchfinalreportIIIc.htm

http://www.southendpress.org/2004/items/COINTELPRO

Abdul-Halim V. said...

Hmmm... first of all, thanks for your comments and thanks for stopping by.

I'm not sure I would say that the bloodshed discredits the holiday. In general, I think it is really important to separate the message from the messenger. And so the value of the Nguzo Saba, for me anyway, is very independent of anything anyone might say about Maulana Karenga.

At the same time, those negative events are still in the background of any discussion of Kwanzaa's history.

But to be honest, In terms of the question, whether or not to celebrate Kwanzaa at all, the more important issue would be the limitations of cultural nationalism rather than the crimes and misdeeds of any individual.

If you have anything else to add about Kwanzaa (or any other subjects) I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.

DA said...

Hey, got a link to the Ann coulter one? Being as she's openly racist, I'm kinda interested that an afro-American Muslim might consider it a valid critique.