Saturday, December 17, 2005

islam and the blackamerican: finally finished

I actually finished Islam and the Blackamerican: Looking toward the Third Resurrection well over a week ago but I've been letting it marinate in my head some before coming up with any kind of final blog entry on it. It is funny but with all the other info I've already included about this book and Sherman (Abdul-Hakim) Jackson's ideas, by now I feel like I have almost nothing left to say. I liked the book. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to say anthing about Islam and race relations in America. From a certain perspective, the point of the book is really simple to state: Blackamerican Muslims need to figure out how to be Black (e.g. anti-racist, culturally authentic) AND American (e.g. claiming and owning all the rights and privilieges of citizenship and nationality) AND Muslim (e.g. orthodox, a full part of the world community of Muslims) and hold down jobs, all at the same time. And if we give up struggling to affirm and claim any part of that task, then we end up paying too high a price. Everything else is details.

Has anybody else read the book and would like to share their thoughts?

No comments: