Tuesday, October 18, 2005

in defense of white pride

This will sound odd especially to people who have read my blog for a while (and I almost can't believe I'm saying this myself). But I think it is about time someone spoke in favor of white pride. (I'm serious.) Not white supremacy. Not white racism. But a healthy amount of knowledge of self. In the long run, low self-esteem and social isolation, feeling groundless in the midst of history aren't good for anybody. White kids throwing "kill whitey" parties and the resurgence of neo-nazi activity in the US, in my opinion, are two sides of the same coin.

There is a strong need and desire for youth of all races to find some place to belong. And there is nothing wrong with a health dose of wisdom based on the experience of ones ancestors. Study history, but understand it as well. Don't just believe a caricature. Take it all, the good and the bad. Get some perspective. Know where you come from. Know where you are at.

That doesn't mean you have to dress up in costume (whether brownshirt or b-boy). But know yourself, and treat other people with respect.

2 comments:

La Madre said...

it boils down to knowledge...no? white, brown, black pride it is knowing your history and the struggles of the people that came before you. and i'd encourage everyone (including myself) to learn more about the struggles of groups not of my own.

Abdul-Halim V. said...

Sure, it's definitely important to learn about the world. Learn about yourself. Learn about other people. Get a bigger picture. And I don't mean to say that one piece should be emphasized to the exclusion of any other.

Still, it occurs to me that some forms of racism are rooted in a particular kind of insecurity. The Klan came into existence when the South was defeated and poor whites were unsure of their position in the world. The Nazis arose in part because of the resentment over Germany's defeat in WWI. Sometimes when people feel bad, they are in a situation where they think that in order to feel better, they need to be on top of someone else in dramatic and violent ways. And the idea I'm turning over in my head and trying to suggest is that some racial problems might be improved by addressing that root insecurity.