Tuesday, July 12, 2005

"it makes my teeth white" - paul mooney

In this blog, especially with certain entries, I often have some very intensely personal things in my life that I'm dwelling on, but instead of coming out and saying exactly what is going on in a clear and explicit way, I often point to public events or creative works or artists who are in the same ballpark, and which are hopefully still interesting to the other people reading, but in reality are only the tip of the iceberg. This is no exception...
p-mooney
Have you ever heard of Paul Mooney? He's this amazing Black comedian. In my book he is actually THE Black comedian. He was a writer for Sanford and Son, he wrote for Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Saturday Night Live, and head writer for In Living Color (he's the one who made up Homey the Clown). He has appeared in Spike Lee's film Bamboozled, Robert Townsend's film Hollywood Shuffle and even an episode of Good Times. Most recently he has appeared on the Dave Chapelle show as Negrodamus and on the Ask a Black Dude segment.

An article entitled Straight Talk appeared in the Bay Area journal Metroactive a few years ago gives a taste of Mooney's material but doesn't do it justice. Instead of shucking and jiving like generations of Black comics from Mantan Moreland to Martin Lawrence to the latest Neo-Blaxploitation sit com on UPN (which stands for U Pick a Nigger, according to Mooney) or BET for that matter, Paul Mooney's laser sharp wit is radical, liberating, cutting edge and cathartic.

The two albums of his I'm aware of ("Masterpiece" which I have, and "Race" which I'm trying to find) are both out of print.

Mooney's humor is certainly not for the easily offended, but if you can get past that he has alot to say. If you think about it, due to obvious economic and demographic realities of the market, most Black entertainers and artists are creating a product intended for white consumption, or at least strongly influenced by the preferences and demands of white consumers (e.g. the biggest consumers of mainstream hip-hop are white kids). And in the case of comedy, this means that to a large degree Black comedians set up Black people to be objects of ridicule. But Paul Mooney turns this formula on its head and fights for laughs with the ruthlessness of a Mau-Mau.

He uses his words to redefine the world in new ways. It's like he can reach deep into your gut, up through your limbs, pull out your funny bone and then proceed to beat you upside the head to knock some sense into it.

More later...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is because Mr.Mooney's humor is so sharp and aware that he's on the fringes of the current mainstreaming of particular Black comedians. When Richard Pryor made the "toy" the downward spiral began. Black comedian reaches high point- is advised to make his routine more accessible- does so-movie deals, tv shows are rewards- blandness follows-dumped.Eddie Murphy Martin Lawrence, Cedric the Entertainer, Steve Harvey (who may or not be Richard's illegetimate son)have or are on this self limiting trail. So Mr. Mooney may not have the blingbling of these others but he has a vaultload of integrity instead

Abdul-Halim V. said...

Yes, Yes, Yes. to both the above comments.

pegaita said...

i have been looking for a website. does paul mooney have a website?

Abdul-Halim V. said...

I'm not sure if he has a blog or a website of that nature. But I think that whichever talent agency which represents him has some info about him and his career, upcoming dates, etc.

Anonymous said...

After watching the Chapelle show, I did a search on him and came across a talent website representing him -- but it seems to be doing quite a very poor job of it. Here's the link: Paul Mooney site.

I could set him up a better website in a heartbeat (that's what I do) for free -- and I'm gonna try to let him know. Check out his "site" -- crap!

Anonymous said...

hey paul i am defending myself against the hypocrits this is my blog:
http://www.comedysoapbox.com/comedianblog.cfm?ComedianID=2835&ComedianBlogID=7496

www.myspace.com/ravikanthony
I SAY PUT ALL THE FUCKIN RACISTS ASSHOLES IN THE WORLD TRADE CENTER AND LETS HAVE A DO OVER. I WOULD PERSONALLY FLY THE FUCKING PLANE IN THE BUILDING

LaBritt said...

If you still don't have the Race album, would you interested in doing a trade for Masterpiece?

Anonymous said...

It is very interesting for me to read the blog. Thank you for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I would like to read more soon.

Joan Swenson

Anonymous said...

Rather interesting site you've got here. Thanks the author for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read more soon.

Julia Swenson

Anonymous said...

We nevertheless have actually 5 months to get
before i'm due plus they have actually employed my replacement.

Anonymous said...

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my website thus i came to ?return the favor?.I'm attempting to find things to enhance my
site!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!