Wednesday, June 01, 2005

tradition, progress and reform

I feel like I've been obsessed with this question in different ways so I'm probably repeating myself but I think I finally figured out the most concise way to phrase the issue:
When people say "progressive Muslims" do they mean starting with Islam's concern for social justice and going out to reform the larger society? Or do they mean starting with the values of the larger society and "reforming Islam"?

I think that's the fundamental question and that's part the tug-of-war between the folks on the Living Tradition blog (on my blogroll) for example, and the people at the Progressive Muslim Union of North America or the Muslim Wake Up! site (who often still have interesting things to say but sometimes leave one with the nagging suspicion that something isn't quite right)

It's not that Muslims are divided into two camps over this question. It is probably more accurate to think of it as a kind of soft tension, or two tendancies. And I'm sure there are people who sit at every point in the continuum. But still, from time to time the tension is stronger than usual and grows more acrimonious. And I wonder if there are ways of resolving the question which won't lead to "Reform Muslims" and "Orthodox Muslims" and "Conservative Muslims" etc.

3 comments:

Abdusalaam al-Hindi said...

I know exactly what you mean, I feel the same way on the issue. I've tried hard to gain clarity on the subject but have been unsuccesful.

sume said...

Complicated question with even more complicated answers, I'm sure. This is still a fairly new thing akin to all the cards being thrown into the air. I believe we're still in the sorting phase.

I believe the divisions have always been there but are now out in the open. I stand somewhere in the middle as always.

Anonymous said...

As-Salaamu 'alaikum,

MWU do occasionally have articles about Islamically proper subjects (like the Hawash exposé and the recent feature on Lily Munir in Indonesia). On other occasions they come out with flat-out kufr (like the bit objecting to having to call Qadianis non-Muslims, which they are) and mock sincere Muslims and the ulama. Also, as PMUNADebate regularly points out, their leaders are in many cases avowedly not Muslim (agnostic or whatever) and politically connected to the Republicans or the PNAC/neo-con project. Take the good from them and leave the rest is my advice. W'Allahu a'lam.