Thursday, April 07, 2005

"sala de parejas"

Nothing Deep:
There is a show on Telemundo called Sala de Parejas which is a Spanish-language courtroom show with feuding couples. I only really caught the tail end of today's episode, but apparently the husband had been sleeping around, but then claimed to have converted to Islam and tried to defend his actions as polygamy. But when the judge asked him about other aspects of the religion, he really didn't seem to know anything. I was impressed. The show hovers somewhere above your typical scandal-mongering talk show, but the judge still made a point of saying that the husband was disrespecting Muslims and the Quran.

I wonder if polls have actually been taken to indicate how positively or negatively Latinos feel about Islam releative to other groups. Historically, Spanish identity was defined as a rebellion against a Moorish background and that might make one expect a strong anti-Islamic current. But still so much of Hispanic culture actually comes out of Muslim sources; words and phrases, architecture, music, etc. Perhaps one can even argue that "machismo" has historical connections to Muslim notions of gender (or they are both stereotypes which come from the same source).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do you hate democrats so much? Let's a find a balance first, and then start blaming each other. And don't say war is the answer.
DId anyone see Inception. It blew my mind right off… I think I'm still missing a few screws. What a great movie.
In my humble opinion, there's a lot of B.S. on this topic all over the internet. How do I know you are not just trying to sell something?
I'm not sure I agree with you on some key points. Do you allow guest blog posts? I'd love to write on this topic.

Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Jerry Seinfeld

Abdul-Halim V. said...

I'm not sure where you are coming from but it isn't obviously spam so I'm letting it pass.

I don't hate Democrats. I've blogged about Inception elsewhere. Have a happy holiday.